Tuesday, April 7, 2009

First Post!

If you're reading this you've stumbled across a small class project some other University of Michigan students and I have created. The purpose of this blog is to highlight recent artistic contributions by Arabs and Arab-Americans across the world. So much of popular art, especially here in the West, is dominated by cultural norms that give little voice to hundreds of millions of people whose lives don't easily conform to the stories the mainstream media presents to us. In highlighting artistic contributions by Arabs across the world, we hope to create a valuable counter-hegemonic resource for those who wish to experience more diverse sources of information and culture.

I am a public policy major here at the Ford School of Public Policy, so I'm very interested in the way art interacts (and often butts heads with) governments. Hopefully I will address related issues in forthcoming entries. I will be contributing regularly until the end of our academic semester. I already have an idea for my first entry, so hopefully it will follow this post very soon!

-Gareth

No comments:

Post a Comment